Friday, February 26, 2010
Book Giveaway - Winter Seed Sowing
One of the best parts of garden blogging is the online friends that you make. Recently, Monica at Garden Faerie Musings and I discovered each other. Monica is the author of Fun with Winter Seed Sowing.
She is an advanced master gardener, a master composter, writer, and speaker. Monica, a fellow Michigander, has been published in the Ann Arbor News, Michigan Living magazine, The Washtenaw Gardener, and many other publications. One of her special projects is a Cat Garden for cats living in a no-kill retirement community, maybe the first and only in the country. She also designed a fountain garden for an 1860s home near Ann Arbor called Cobblestone Farm, drawing from her knowledge of plants that would have been planted in that era.
Monica's book, Fun with Winter Seed Sowing, is a different approach to seed starting. Using Mother Nature's original plan, she demonstrates ways to sow seeds in recyclable containers, such as milk jugs and juice bottles, outdoors, leaving your house free of pot and container clutter. This idea utilizes natural light, rain, and snow melt. The seeds remain dormant in the pots until they begin to leaf out in nature's own good timing. By the time they are ready for transplanting, they have already been hardened-off. What a great concept! The book describes everything you need to know using whatever type of container you decide, including the soil type and different ways to mark pots.
Monica has generously offered one of her books as a giveaway. Outdoor seed sowing should only be done until mid-March here in the snowy North, so time is of the essence. If this new concept interest you, here's how you can enter:
1. Leave a comment about why you would like to win this book.
2. For a second chance to win, sign up as an e-mail subscriber with Feedburner, Feed Blitz, or become a Google Follower (see sidebar.) Then leave a second comment telling me you have subscribed or that you are already a subscriber.
If you subscribe in more than one way, leave a separate comment for each.
3. For a third chance to win, blog or Tweet about this contest with a link here, then come back and leave another comment telling me about it.
4. For a fourth chance to win, subscribe to Garden Faerie's Musings and come back and tell me about it..
5. If you're not a blogger, be sure to leave your contact e-mail address like this to avoid spammers: pianananna(at)gmail(dot)com. If I don't have a way to reach you or you don't respond in three days, your name will be disqualified, and I will choose again, picking my favorite answer.
Open to US residents only, 18+.
Winners will be chosen by random.org.
Email addresses will not be shared with any third parties.
This Giveaway ends on Friday, March 5, 2010 at midnight EST.
Please make your car a NO PHONE ZONE!
Don't forget to visit An Herbal Bedfellow for healthy recipes made with herbs, and also my newest blog:
Bits, Tales, and Yarns - my newest writing adventure.